Thursday, 14 June 2012

Dido: Don't Leave Home - a dialogue

A lot of Dido's songs sound soothing because of her lovely voice. That is unless you listen to the lyrics, Don't Leave Home is a case in point, it seems like a lovely love song about supporting the one you love but is actually quite sinister...


Like a ghost don't need a key 
Hold up, how did you get in then? I swear I didn't let you in.
Your best friend I've come to be
Well, gee, thanks.
Please don't think of getting up for me
If I was it'd have been to ring 999, but go on...
You don't even need to speak
Hang on, what?
When I've been here for just one day
You've been here a day? When I had no idea you were here at all? Where were you, the cellar?
You'll already miss me if I go away
...I wouldn't be too sure about that
So close the blinds and shut the door
You won't need other friends anymore
Pardon? That's a bit creepy...


Oh don't leave home, oh don't leave home
I wasn't going to...


If you're cold I'll keep you warm
I've got my heating for that...
If you're low just hold on
What am I meant to be holding on to? Did you leave something in my cellar?
Cause I will be your safety
That's ironic considering you're the one making me doubt I'm safe...
Oh don't leave home


I arrived when you were weak
Oh, you came to check on me after I broke my leg? That's nice.
I'll make you weaker, like a child
What, you're going to break something else? Hang on, what's this "like a child" nonsense? A bit sick, man.
Now all your love you give to me
If it'll make you leave, here it is.


When your heart is all I need
I'm really hoping you're not being literal here, in an Evil Queen kinda way...


Oh don't leave home, oh don't leave home


If you're cold I'll keep you warm
If you're low just hold on
Cause I will be your safety
Oh don't leave home


Oh how quiet, quiet the world can be
When it's just you and little me
You're not planning on making me deaf are you?
Everything is clear and everything is new
Well it's clear I've got a stalker and it's certainly new to me.
So you won't be leaving will you?
Well it's my house, so no...


Oh don't leave home, oh don't leave home
You really seem hung up on this, have you got a bomb stashed away somewhere?


If you're cold I'll keep you warm
If you're low just hold on
Cause I will be your safety
Oh don't leave home

No comments:

Post a Comment