Tuesday, 12 June 2012

My letter to my MP about Marriage Equality

Dear Caroline,

I'm sure you know about the current consultation about marriage equality. There are a few reasons I feel allowing same-sex couples to marry in civil ceremonies are necessary:
  1. Currently even countries which have same-sex marriage don't recognise UK's civil partnerships.
  2. When a married trans* person wants to be legally recognised as the opposite gender, they have to get divorced and then enter into a civil partnership with their spouse.
  3. Having separate institutions for same-sex and opposite-sex couples means that future governments would be able to legislate differently for them (granted the Equality Act would have to be repealed first, but this isn't beyond the realms of possibility).
On a personal note, as a bisexual woman if I were to enter into a long term, committed relationship, I would like the option to marry them, whatever their gender.

So on that note, I'd like to ask, if it came to a vote in Parliament, between the status quo and allowing same-sex couples to marry in civil ceremonies, what would your vote be?

Yours,

Vicky Syred

2 comments:

  1. Also, there should be same-sex religious marriage for those churches & religions that want to do it, i.e. Unitarians (LGBT-welcoming since 1970), Quakers (LGBT-welcoming since 1968), Liberal Jews, Reform Jews, Metropolitan Community Church (founded in 1970 for LGBTs), Pagans (LGBT-welcoming since at least the 1980s; and who can't even do opposite-sex weddings in England and Wales). Oh yeah and the United Reformed Church have just declared they're OK with same-sex weddings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The only reason I didn't mention it was because it was my understanding that Caroline's only proviso about same sex marriage was that no religious establishment should be forced to hold same-sex marriages (from an article in my local paper), so I didn't think it was worth bringing it up.

      Delete